Wednesday 16 January 2013

It's All Go!

So it's been a long time since I last updated this blog, but don't be fooled into thinking there has been a lack of progress. On the contrary, I am very nearly ready to start building. Here is the final build spec...


  • Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
  • Fox 36 TALAS 160 RC2 QR20 1.5 Taper 2013 Forks
  • Shimano XTR M986 Shadow+ 10sp Rear Mech
  • Shimano XTR M985 Top Swing 2x10 Front Mech (Low Clamp, 34.9mm)
  • Shimano XTR Shifters 10sp Direct Attach M980
  • Shimano XT M771 10 Speed Cassette
  • Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset (175mm - 36.22t - 68/73mm)
  • SRAM PC1091 10 Speed Hollow Pin Chain
  • Fizik Gobi XM MTB Saddle 2012
  • ODI Rogue MTB Lock-On Bonus Pack
  • Easton Havoc DH Bar - Black Mid Rise 750mm
  • Hope FR Stem - 50mm 0 Deg Gold
  • Hope Head Doctor Headset Adjusters Gold
  • Hope M4 Evo Brakes with Hope Matchmakers for XTR Shifters
  • Hope Hoops Pro2 EVO Wheelset - Front & Rear - Stans Flow EX No Tubes - 2012
  • Hope Tech Lever Shifter Mount Clamp Shimano XTR Pair Black
  • Hope Ceramic Bottom Bracket in Gold (73mm)
  • Superstar 180mm/203mm Floating Rotor Discs in Black
  • Superstar Sintered Pads for Hope M4
  • Cane Creek 110 Headset
  • KS LEV 430mm Adjustable Seatpost (150mm travel)
  • Jagwire Hose Kit Hyflo MTB Carbon Silver 3M
  • Jagwire Ripcord MTB Gear Cable Kit - Carbon Silver
  • Jagwire Hydraulic Fitting Kit (Formula & Hope)
  • 2 x Continental Mountain King II Protection Folding MTB Tyre - 26 x 2.4

Interestingly enough, my timescales set out in my very first post have been spot on. I now have the majority of parts on my work bench and the final pieces are due for delivery shortly. The remaining parts are the frame which will be on it's way to the UK in the next few days, the fork and most of the Hope gear. They're all going to the same shop so will be picked up in early February.

If you've read my previous posts, you'll know that I had my heart set on a black/gold theme. Unfortunately the 2013 frame is no longer available in that configuration and Santa Cruz were unable to do anything such as provide a blank frame or produce a frame with old colours (believe me, I tried!). Also, removing the top clear coat to remove the decals voids warranty so that's that then. So, rather than swap to a black/blue theme, I am going to stick my head in the sand and march on regardless.

Finally, I'd like to share the detail I'm going to on this build. As you may have seen in my Hope M4 write up, I got the special edition team variants which are all black with green accents (bore caps and adjustment screws). I wanted the get the matchmakers for the XTR shifters to clean up the bars but I had to go to great lengths to find those in black to match! Additionally, at great effort and cost, I found a supplier to replace the adjustment screws with gold ones. I say supplier, it was actually two because neither had enough stock to replace all four! However, how amazing do they look?!

Hope Tech Evo levers with gold adjustment screws

No comments:

Post a Comment