Thursday 16 August 2012

Rising from the Ashes of Cracked Dreams


I choose my words carefully when I say I love the Yeti SB-66c. It's not just a crush, but a full on infatuation so it is with a very heavy heart that I say the Yeti build is no more!!! Let me explain...

As you may have read, I was recently on a skills course with the guys from Pro Ride Guides. They do a lot of product reviews for the likes of MBUK including the review of the SB-66. They ride Santa Cruz Nomads themselves and were of the opinion that the SB-66 was more of a trail bike that wouldn't be capable of big hits like other similarly priced options. Believe me when I say I was crying on the way home...I wished I hadn't asked!

Fast forward a few weeks and the seed of doubt had been sewn, so I took the pragmatic approach and emailed Yeti with my concerns including whether the frame could cope with big hits and spills. As you would expect, their response was quick and encouraging. Then this happened...a forum post about the frames cracking and a number of people claiming "me too".

I do not have thousands of pounds to spend on a frame every month and the idea of a frame cracking whilst out in the middle of nowhere does not appeal. So, I've heeded the advice of people far more in the know than me, and arranged a test ride on a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon.

The proposed spec is similar to the SB-66c with changes here and there (headset, longer travel seatpost, front mech, and bar grips!)

  • Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
  • Fox 34 TALAS 160 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust
  • Industry Nine All Mountain (Black Stan Flow Rim, Black spokes, Gold Hub)
  • KS LEV 430mm Adjustable Seatpost
  • Hope M4 Evo Brakes
  • Shimano XTR M985 Shadow+ 10sp Rear Mech
  • Shimano XTR M985 Top Swing 2x10 Front Mech (Low Clamp, 34.9mm)
  • Shimano XTR Shifters 10sp Direct Attach M980
  • Shimano XT M771 10 Speed Cassette
  • Shimano M810 Saint Bottom Bracket (73mm)
  • Shimano SLX M665 Double Chainset (175mm - 36.22t - 68/73mm)
  • Cane Creek 110 Upper Assemblies Separates  ZS49/28.6 8mm SH 1.5-1 1/8 inch Conversion, Zerostack, Short
  • Cane Creek 110 Lower Assemblies Separates  EC49/40 SH 12mm 1.5 inch steerer, External, 49mm headtube bore
  • SRAM PC1091 10 Speed Hollow Pin Chain
  • Fizik Gobi XM MTB Saddle 2012
  • Point 1 Split Second 50 (in black of course)
  • ODI Rogue MTB Lock-On Bonus Pack
  • 2 x Continental Mountain Queen Protection Folding MTB Tyre - 26 x 2.4


No comments:

Post a Comment