Thursday 16 August 2012

That Flat Feeling

Many moons ago, before getting my Cube LTD Pro, I used to ride with flat pedals. Once I started riding with the guys from work, I got into the idea of being clipped in. The reason was three-fold (although misguided)

  1. I could cheat at bunny hopping (true, but bad practice)
  2. I could pull as well as push on up hill pedaling (bad idea as it turns out)
  3. You stay attached to the bike on jumps (true)
The downside to clipless pedals are that it's easy for your technique to get lazy. So I've done it - I'm back to flats with a set of Superstar Components Thru-Pin Nano pedals and 510 Impact Low shoes.

On my first ride, I'm loving them and I feel as secure as I do clipped in. A good move that is bound to bring on my riding.

I thought this might be a good time to update you on the Hope M4 brakes as well. I had some trouble fitting these. The fronts were perfect, but the backs just didn't seem right. I emailed their excellent support team and went through the motions though it transpires I'd followed the instructions to the letter. So, I stripped them off and refitted them and I can only imagine that I hadn't centered the calipers properly the first time round. These things are amazing!

They never grab, the reach and bite point adjustments are a revelation and they don't fade. I've heard the sintered pads are even better so I'll try those when it comes time to replace. I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment